Friday, March 30, 2007

Just had a GREAT experience . . .

I've been doing some research on information retrieval and improvement of intranet search engines. As part of this project, I have been trying to understand what is a good, or good enough, precision, recall and f-measure.

--- Technically, for those who care, I am using a F1 measure with equal balance between precision and recall because I am not sure which the user population prefers, at this time. I am also measuring precision and recall across 25 and 200 results. My ideal sets are sets of 25 documents, culled from a possible 1.5 million documents using queries generated by the "experts". ---

So anyway, I've been using all of our tools to try and find good articles on f-measure. Generally, I have found lots of web sites with f and measure near each other, but no good hits on the first page of results. The search engine Hakia did significantly better. It brought back only documents about the statistical tool known as F-measure. ONLY documents that were about the topic, no documents that are not about the topic! Do you know how rare that is? OutSTANDING!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, It is great to hear from our users- especially with good reviews:-) We would like to tell you why and how we bring our search results- we have a different approach. We are also curious to hear more about your tests. Drop me an email if you want to connect for a chat --rob@hakia.com